The Federal Member for Blaxland, Jason Clare MP today announced that over 13,000 local families with children at school will get a new cash payment to help make ends meet.
Each year, families will receive a new Schoolkids Bonus worth:
- $410 for each child in primary school
- $820 for each child in high school.
This new guaranteed payment will help the families of over 23,000 school kids pay for uniforms, books, school excursions, stationery, and other costs like music lessons and sports registration fees.
Because the payment is automatic and upfront, it means:
- Parents don’t need to keep receipts for months and months – it’s a guaranteed payment;
- Parents will receive the full amount every time, so families won’t miss out if they lose receipts;
- Parents don’t have to pay out of their own pocket, then wait months to get paid back – the payment will be paid upfront, twice a year, before the start of Term 1 and Term 3; and
- No paperwork is required.
“This new payment will be a big help when balancing the family budget – It’s an upfront payment, which means parents will have money when they need it most,” Mr Clare said.
The payment will replace the Education Tax Refund from 1 January 2013.
Replacing the old system with this new payment means over 8,000 local families will receive more cash.
Just like the Education Tax Refund, the Schoolkids Bonus will be available to families receiving Family Tax Benefit Part A plus young people in school receiving Youth Allowance and some other income support and veterans’ payments.
As part of the transition to the new Schoolkids Bonus, the Education Tax Refund for 2011-12 will be paid out in full to all eligible families as a lump sum payment in June.
This means families will receive their full Education Tax Refund entitlement ahead of tax time – so parents won’t have to worry about keeping receipts or making claims when they do their tax this year.
Legislation to enable these changes will be introduced into Parliament this week.
Media contact: Chris Zogopoulos T: 9790 2466