ANTHONY ALBANESE MP
LEADER OF THE AUSTRALIAN LABOR PARTY
MEMBER FOR GRAYNDLER
JASON CLARE MP
SHADOW MINISTER FOR HOUSING AND HOMELESSNESS
SHADOW MINISTER FOR REGIONAL SERVICES,
LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND TERRITORIES
MEMBER FOR BLAXLAND
HOUSING AUSTRALIA FUTURE FUND
An Albanese Labor Government will create a ten billion dollar off-budget Housing Australia Future Fund to build social and affordable housing now and into the future.
This will create jobs, build homes and change lives.
Over the first five years, it will:
- Build 20,000 new social housing properties, including 4,000 homes for women and children fleeing domestic and family violence and older women on low incomes who are at risk of homelessness,
- Build 10,000 affordable homes for the heroes of the pandemic – frontline workers like police, nurses and cleaners that kept us safe,
- Directly support 21,500 full-time jobs across the construction industry and broader economy, per year, over 5 years, nationwide – One in 10 direct workers on site will be apprentices.
- Provide $200 million for the repair, maintenance and improvements of housing in remote Indigenous communities, where some of the worst housing standards in the world are endured by our First Nations people,
- Invest $100 million in crisis and transitional housing for women and children fleeing domestic and family violence, and older women on low incomes who are at risk of homelessness, and
- Invest $30 million to build housing and fund specialist services for veterans who are experiencing homelessness or at-risk of homelessness.
After the first five years, a portion of the investment returns will be available to fund acute housing needs each year, in perpetuity. This funding will be used for additional crisis housing, transitional housing and long-term social housing in parts of the country with the greatest need.
This is not just good social policy, it’s also good economic policy.
Over the first five years the value of residential construction work directly supported by the Housing Australia Future Fund will be approximately $12 billion and inject over $34.8 billion into the economy. 
After eight long years in Government, housing affordability has just got worse and there are more homeless Australians than ever before.
The Housing Australia Future Fund will give more Australians a future.
Quote attributable to the Leader of the Australian Labor Party, Anthony Albanese:
“The security of a roof over one’s head should be available to all Australians.”
“The home I grew up in gave me and my mum so much more than somewhere to sleep. It gave us pride, dignity and security, and it gave me a future.”
Quote attributable to Shadow Minister for Housing and Homelessness Jason Clare:
“This will make money, create jobs, build homes and change lives.”
THURSDAY, 13 MAY 2021
LEADER’S PRESS OFFICE 02 6277 4053
ARLEY BLACK (CLARE) 02 9790 2466