ABC confirms 241 victims of Tony Abbott’s broken promise

ABC Managing Director Mark Scott confirmed yesterday afternoon that 241 people have already fallen victim to Tony Abbott’s broken promise not to cut the ABC.

On the night before the 2013 Federal Election Tony Abbott stared down the barrel of an SBS news camera and told the Australian people there would be:

“No cuts to education, no cuts to health, no change to pensions, no change to the GST and no cuts to the ABC or SBS.”

That was a lie.

Since that lie Tony Abbott has cut more than $500 million from the ABC and SBS.

Under questioning in Senate Estimates yesterday ABC management confirmed that 241 ABC employees have been retrenched so far in the 2014-15 financial year.

When questioned if another 330 ABC employees had been placed in a pool where their ongoing employment remained uncertain Mr Scott said, “that would be about right.”

These 571 people are the latest victims of Tony Abbott’s broken promise.

WEDNESDAY, 25 FEBRUARY 2015

MEDIA CONTACT: RYAN HAMILTON 9790 2466