Federal member for Blaxland, Jason Clare today announced applications for the 2012 National Volunteer Awards are now open.
The Awards recognise the contribution of over 6 million Australians who volunteer their time in communities across the country.
“Volunteers are people that turn our suburbs into communities,” Mr Clare said.
“It’s groups like the Chester Hill Neighbourhood Centre, Legacy Australia and the Lions Club that are the backbone of our community.
“As a generation of baby boomers start to retire it is great to see there is a new category to specifically acknowledge the invaluable contribution older Australians make to our community.
“To obtain a copy of my volunteering kit or find out about application procedures and closing dates please contact my office on 9790 2466,” Mr Clare said.
Volunteer award categories include:
- MP’s Volunteer of the Year
- Junior Volunteer Award (17 and under)
- Youth Volunteer Award (18-25)
- Senior Volunteer Award (65 and over)
- Business Volunteer Award
- Education Award
- Emergency Management Volunteer Award
- Environment Award
- Innovation in Volunteering Award (organisation or individual)
- Long–term Commitment to Community Service Award.
Media contact: Chris Zogopoulos (02) 9790 2466